At the start of each month I do a monthly bucket list in the hopes that it keeps me accountable, and also makes sure I don’t overwhelm myself with too much. It’s been a huge help since I started it three months ago and although I never publish it bang on the first of the month, I’m pleased with how much I manage to get done!
First off, let’s see how we did with last month’s bucket list:
Well, January was a crap month… Max didn’t have a full week in school at all as he was poorly on and off with pretty much every bug doing the rounds, and I managed to catch the flu and get a chest infection, both of which I’m only just recovered from. The joys! Max has finally been back to his usual self over the weekend so I’m going to keep everything crossed that we finally manage a full week in school this week!
- I’m declaring the rest of this month a spend-free one. Other than bills and food, we don’t need to buy anything after Christmas and the New Year sales! I sort of managed this… did make a couple of smaller purchases for our house but then again I had been meaning to do that anyway. Definitely didn’t buy anything in the sales anyway!
- More time spent outdoors – getting ourselves wrapped up and out for a walk. This one can be tricky with Max but so long as I encourage him to take photos with his iPad, he seems happy enough to go along with it now! Max has been unwell pretty much the whole time, so in fact January has been a month of all but hibernating. Determined to get us out more during February though.
- The kids’ room. Toys all decluttered. Really.This month it will get done! AHAHAHAHAHA. Nope
- Basically just keep on top of the housework here… no spend = nothing new here. Amazingly I *have* managed to do this, even with Max and I both being unwell. Zack helped a lot when I wasn’t well, bless his heart. He is such a sweet soul and even made me breakfast etc when I was ill!
- Again with the menu planning. As in actual meals planned and written out in advance so I have less to think about! Completely fell short here. With Max being unwell, his sleep schedule went out the window and so my energy levels were floored.
- Get that Work With Me page done once and for all, along with a Disclosures page. Totally going to do this soon… *cough*
- Sign up for affiliates to use appropriately. Nope
- Prepare posts a week in advance, to go live on Mondays. Almost managed this, but… flu. Ugh!
- Join in with another linky. This one I DID do! Joining in with The MM Linky, and Midwife and Life’s Parent Blogs Elite linky. Phew!
- Get back into a better sleep schedule – it’s gone all over the place since the holidays! But hey, that’s what they’re for, right? Bed by 10pm-11pm every weeknight. AHAHAHAHAHA… well, Max’s sleep regression due to illnesses put that one on the back burner. Though he’s slept through for the last two nights finally – the relief is palpable. 🙂
- Figure out a better balance between uni work and blogging. Uni has to take precedent at the end of the day, so if I can start my week off by getting it done first on Mondays and Tuesdays that leaves the rest of the week for blogging. Sorted, yes? Getting there… sort of. Honestly it’s all been stressing me out a fair bit with so much time being taken up with Max being off ill. I just need to survive February and then I know I’ll be fine uni-wise! *breathes*
- Making sure I switch off properly at the weekends. If there’s one thing that I really loved about this Christmas it was enforcing a no-uni-no-blog period from when the kids finished school till the 27th. Having that time away from the headspace of “must do ALL THE THINGS” really helped. So Saturdays and Sundays are NOT to be used for anything but family time and me time. Done! I’ve been making more of a concerted effort to really just switch off and relax over the weekends. It’s HARD at times but it’s definitely helped with my stress levels.
And now we move onto February’s Monthly Bucket List!
- I definitely want to make the most of the fact that I can still make the boys go outside at the moment – family walks WILL happen every weekend this month.
- I want to make sure I spend some proper time with Zack each week just the two of us. Once Max goes to bed I’m going to start making us a wee hot chocolate to have and enjoy some time with my big dude, whether it’s chatter and bants, or playing something together on the Switch. He’s been such an amazing help in the last month with Max’s sleep issues and me being unwell, and he’s out so much with pals these days… it’s just something I want to make a priority.
- Erm… basically don’t let the place go to shit. Keep on top of housework, make sure to utilise my time properly by doing things like cleaning the bathroom while Max has his bath, and remembering one of my mum’s favourite phrases: “don’t put it down, put it away!”
- I know I should probably put down declutter the boys’ toys again… so here it is. Might actually have the chance to get this done over February break as I can get Zack to help with moving things from their room to my car boot. So yeah… this is totally getting done this month. *cough*
- Stop stressing about what I “should” be doing with the blog, and remember that I don’t have to be fearless and forward thinking every minute I focus on my blog. I can actually sit back and *enjoy* it without worrying about the future. No more striving!
- Sleep properly. As in, go to bed by 10-11pm every night. EVERY NIGHT. And be up and *dressed* by the same time in the mornings at the weekend. Cause otherwise it’s way too easy for me to lounge around in PJs ALL WEEKEND. And while that’s good if you’re not well etc, it means that I end up dozing on the sofa while Max watches yet another episode of The Amazing World of Gumball and then not being able to sleep for ages at night.
- Stop! Striving! I feel like, especially in the online world, we’re always striving to do more, and to be more… more current, more popular, have better stats, write better posts, write more, do more, be more… more more more. I know that if I’m thinking this way there will be a LOT of us in the same boat. So for February, while I know I have a lot on my plate with uni, I am not going to be striving to do ALL THE THINGS on the blog. That doesn’t necessarily mean I won’t blog, just that I’m done with putting pressure on myself regarding Goals and Processes and Achievements. It’s all TOO MUCH sometimes!
Well I guess that’s it for this month… I hope I can manage it, but then again, I’m so done with putting more pressure on myself when I have a lot on as it is. So although these are great goals, I’m not going to beat myself up if I don’t get it all done. Cause at the end of the day, life gets in the way… and that’s exactly how it’s supposed to go. I’m gonna be spending less time stressing, and more time living. And if I manage to tick some of these things off the list, then it’s an added bonus. 🙂